Who can get help with Court fees?

It may be possible to get money off the court/tribunal fees.

You may not have to pay a fee or instead may get some money off, if you:

  • have no savings or investments, or only a small amount
  • receive certain benefits
  • or are on a low income.

It is important to consider any savings and investments that you have as this will affect your eligibility. It would normally be the case that you need to be on a low income or on one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit (and you earn less than £6,000 a year)
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
  • Scottish Civil Legal Aid (not Advice and Assistance, or Advice by Way of Representation)

If you are not on any of the above benefits you will need to meet income criteria. This would be:

  • If you are single: £1,085pcm (before tax).
  • If you are in a relationship: £1,245pcm (before tax)

It is also important to remember that you earn an extra £245 for each child you have.

Where can I make the application?

The application can be made online or on in paper format at https://www.gov.uk/get-help-with-court-fees


This resource has been brought to you by Azhar Hussain (Solicitor-Advocate)

Exit site now X